We aim to:
- Develop an awareness of the nature of language and language learning.
- Develop the ability to use the language effectively for practical communication.
- Offer insights into the culture/civilisation of the country.
- Encourage positive attitudes to foreign languages and the speakers and countries of the languages.
- Provide intellectual stimulation and enjoyment.
- Promote learning skills of a more general application (e.g. analysis, memorising, independent research), and thus form a firm foundation for the skills/attitudes required for further study, work and leisure.
- Make language learning fun!
Pupils in Year 7 study French and are taught in mixed ability groups in Term 1. After an assessment in December, pupils are then taught in classes set according to ability for the remainder of the year. Students start studying German as an additional language in Years 8 and 9. Pupils of French follow the Pearson Studio! language course and German pupils follow the Pearson Stimmt! course in Year 8 and the Edexcel Stimmt! GCSE course in Year 9. Further details of which can be found by visiting Pearson publishers’ website.
Foreign languages are currently an optional subject at Key Stage 4 and at the end of Year 9 pupils may opt for French or German, or indeed both languages, to study to GCSE level. Spanish is also offered as a fast track language option at GCSE for those pupils with a proven ability in language learning. French, German and Spanish are offered at A level with German sometimes being taught within our school consortium and Spanish being hosted by Roundwood Park School. Many previous students have gone on to read languages at university level including Oxbridge. The department follows the Pearson Edexcel Examination syllabus at Key Stage 4 using the Studio! Stimmt! and Viva! Edexcel Course books and the AQA Examination syllabus at Key Stage 5 using the Hodder A-Level course books.
Teaching and Learning
Pupils are taught following a communicative approach and use of the target language is a high priority in lessons. They enjoy the benefits of state of the art resources in a newly refurbished languages facility that includes projectors in every classroom equipped with Apple TV, access to class sets of iPads and additional opportunities for individual language practice with our experienced language assistant at KS4 and 5. The four skill areas of listening, speaking, reading and writing are developed through a variety of interactive tasks and pupils are encouraged to use revision websites at home for further independent practice.
The following trips are offered this year.
- Cross-curricular residential trip to Brittany for Year 8 pupils (French & Humanities)
- Language Study trips are being investigated to be offered to year 10 GCSE students of French/ German/ Spanish.
- Year 12 students studying languages are actively encouraged to sign up for independent work experience visits to France or Germany for the October half term. This has proved to be a very popular option in recent years.
- Pupils in Years 11 and 12 are invited to apply for places to go on our annual trip to China.