Thank you for your interest in boarding at St George’s School, Harpenden.
To apply for a place, please read the following information and then complete the application form, found towards the bottom of this page. Please also include a copy of your child’s passport and a recent school report.
We will seek a reference from the current school and interview all applicants to ascertain suitability to board. As part of the interview you will have the opportunity to tour the school and meet boarding students and staff.
Places are then offered according to the admissions code and in line with our Admissions Policy.
How to Apply
For admissions in this current academic year, please contact us to establish availability of spaces.
The key dates for applying to join us in boarding for the academic year 2023/2024 are set out below. If you are applying outside these dates, please contact us to establish availability of spaces.
If you are interested in places for the academic year 2024/2025 and beyond, please visit this webpage again in June/July for further information and application forms.
Please note that we do not accept applications from students going into year 11 or year 13 unless there are exceptional circumstances.
If you currently reside in the UK, you will need to apply BOTH to us AND to the Local Authority where you live. Please use the link at the bottom of this page for the St George’s School application form. Once completed please return the form to us using the email address below. Please also make an online application to the Local Authority where you live and select St George’s School (Boarding) as one of your ranked schools. Please ensure that the schools you are applying for via your Local Authority are ranked in order of preference.
Applications to join in Year 7 follow the same timeframe as the Local Authority Secondary Transfer process. The process for applying to join us in September 2023 is as follows:
- Wednesday 19th October 2022 - Closing Date for submitting the St George’s School application form to us
- Monday 31st October 2022 - Closing Date for Secondary Transfer application to your Local Authority
- November 18th 2022 (boys) and December 2nd 2022 (girls) - Year 7 tours and interviews, held at St George’s
- Friday 16th December 2022 - We will let you know if your child is considered suitable to board. Please note this is NOT a guaranteed offer of a place as there may be more applicants who are deemed suitable to board than we have places for.
- Wednesday 1st March 2023 - Formal offers are made
- Wednesday 15th March 2023 - offers must be accepted or declined by this date
Years 8, 9 and 10
There is no deadline for applications into Years 8, 9, or 10, but the normal application window is during the autumn term and we normally make offers before the Christmas break. Please complete the application form found below and send to us. If there are spaces available, arrangements will be made for an interview and tour of the school. If there are no places available at the time your application is received, you will be contacted and asked if you would like to be added to the waiting list. Interviews will not be held until a place becomes available. Accordion content
Applicants to become a boarder and study for A’Levels at St George’s School will need to complete an application form for boarding AND a separate options form for sixth form (to be made available at a later date)
- November 30th 2022 - Closing Date for submitting an application for a boarding place in Year 12.
- Mid December 2022- Interviews and Tours
- Early January 2023 - Interviews and Tours (continued)
- Friday February 10th 2023 - Boarding offers made
- End April 2023 - Sixth form offers made including confirmation of subject choices.
Please have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions
To contact us in Boarding Admissions
- Application Form for Boarding Place 2023
- St George's Determined Criteria for Boarding Admissions 2023